FAQs Master's Programs

Interested in studying at BCDSS?

Information on your MA program can be found here:

You should take a close look at the module description and the examination regulations.

For specific questions concerning the MA programs please contact Sarah Dusend, Head of Research and Study, via email: ma-program@dependency.uni-bonn.de

For the electronic course catalogue BASIS click here.

The one- year MA "Slavery Studies" and the two-year MA "Dependency and Slavery Studies" is starting every winter term (October).

Please submit your application via the University of Bonn Online Application Portal for Graduate Programs. You will first be asked to complete an online interview to make sure you fulfil the formal MA requirements. Afterwards you have to create a new account and proceed to the online application form providing information about your personal details and information. Finally you will be asked to upload proving certificates.

It is required to submit your application via the online portal of the University AND in paper by mail.

  • online application form of the University of Bonn
  • proof of C1 proficiency in English
  • your BA degree
  • your high school degree
  • minimum grade for the first higher education degree qualifying for employment: 2.5
  • C1 proficiency in English
  • source language proficiency (recommended)
  • 3-year BA (MA Dependency and Slavery Studies)/ 4-year BA (Slavery Studies) or equivalent degree acquired in Germany or abroad in Archaeologies, Asian or Islamic Art History, Comparative Religious Studies, Egyptology, English Studies, German Studies, History, History of the Islamic World, History of Law, Japanese Studies, Korean Studies, Latin American Studies, Slavic Studies, Social Sciences, South East Asian Studies, Theologies, Tibetan Studies, or similar disciplines

For both MA programs you need a C1 proficiency in English (documented by e.g. a BA program taught entirely in English, minimum scores of TOEFL iBT 94/IELTS 7.0). As the programs are taught in English, there are no German language proficiency requirements. It is recommended to have language proficiency in a source language.

For visa requirements please check the web page of your embassy or the German foreign ministry.

Studying and more

  • Living expenses (rent, food, clothes, books…) about 800–850 Euro per month 
    Source: Deutsches Studierendenwerk
  • Semester fee about 300 Euro per semester (a ticket for public transport included)

Please keep in mind that Non-EU citizens have to proof their financial stability for the first year of study for their visa application.

Yes, generally speaking students in Germany are allowed to pursue part-time jobs while studying. Please check the University’s website for specific information and regulations for international students.

For a general guideline for student accommodation possibilities in Germany please check this website.

There are several dormitory with rooms available for students of the University of Bonn. Please check the website of the Studierendenwerk Bonn.

If you are looking for private accommodation and shared flats you can check this website.

The University of Bonn offers a broad range of campus activities and events. For current information please check the University's web page.

For specific questions concerning the MA programs please contact Sarah Dusend, Head of Research and Study, via email: ma-program@dependency.uni-bonn.de

For general questions concerning studying in Germany you can refer to the following websites:

Getting started at the University of Bonn

Current information can be found here.

Information on how to enroll is provided in your letter of admission. The enrollment period for the winter term usually takes place in September. 

In order to enroll, you must get in touch with the Registrar’s Office (Studierendensekretariat) during this time period. For updates and further information please check the website

After the enrollment, you will receive information about your MA program and the class schedule for your first semester.

Please note that you have to register for your courses in BASIS (the university course catalogue).  

Once you have received your university ID (Uni-ID), you can register for courses online in BASIS (the university course catalogue) during the registration phases. Short instructions how to proceed, can be found in the guidelines sent to you by the study program management. 

After your enrollment and the university processes your semester fees, you will receive your university ID (UNI-ID), your university account. The first step is the activation of your Uni-ID in the Identity Management System GOsa².

Afterwards you can use all central IT services, e.g. email account, wireless internet access (VPN client), course and examination registration in BASIS, the electronic learning platform eCampus, the cloud service Sciebo, etc. The HRZ (Hochschulrechenzentrum) provides a checklist for students and further information on the IT services on their website.

Within two weeks after your arrival in Bonn, you are required to register your address with the City Registration Office (Einwohnermeldeamt). You will need to make an appointment online

The confirmation of registration (Anmeldebestätigung) which you receive is required for additional formalities, e.g. opening a bank account, etc..

Wird geladen