FAQs Master Programs

Please find frequently asked questions to the application process below. The FAQs usually refer to both programs, unless otherwise stated.

Interested in studying at BCDSS?

The one- year MA "Slavery Studies" and the two-year MA "Dependency and Slavery Studies" is starting every winter term. Starting Date October 1.

Please submit your application via the University of Bonn Online Application Portal for Graduate Programs. You will first be asked to complete an Online Interview to make sure you fulfil the formal M.A. requirements. Afterwards you have to create a new account and proceed to the Online Application Form providing information about your personal details and formation. Finally you will be asked to upload proving certificates.

It is required to submit your application via the online portal of the University AND in paper by mail.

  • Online Application form of the University of Bonn
  • Proof of C1 proficiency English
  • Your B.A: Degree
  • Your High School Degree

Getting started in the University of Bonn

  • Minimum grade for the first higher education degree qualifying for employment: 2.5
  • C1 proficiency English
  • Source language proficiency (recommended)
  • 3-year B.A. or equivalent degree acquired in Germany or abroad in Archaeologies, Asian or Islamic Art History, Comparative Religious Studies, Egyptology, English Studies, German Studies, History, History of the Islamic World, History of Law, Japanese Studies, Korean Studies, Latin American Studies, Slavic Studies, Social Sciences, South East Asian Studies, Theologies, Tibetan Studies, or similar disciplines

For the M.A. "Dependency and Slavery Studies" you need a C1 proficiency in English (documented by e.g. a B.A. program taught entirely in English, minimum scores of TOEFL iBT 94/IELTS 7.0). As the whole program is taught in English, there are no German language proficiency requirements. It is recommended to have language proficiency in a source language.

For visa requirements please check the web page of your embassy or the German foreign ministry.

  • Living expenses (rent, food, clothes, books…) about 800–850 Euro per month 
    Source: Deutsches Studierendenwerk
  • Semester fee about 300 Euro per semester (a ticket for public transport included)

Please keep in mind that Non-EU citizens have to proof their financial stability for the first year of study for their visa application.

Studying and more

Yes, generally speaking students in Germany are allowed to pursue part-time jobs while studying. Please check the University’s website for specific information and regulations for international students.

For a general guideline for student accommodation possibilities in Germany please check this website.

There are several dormitory with rooms available for students of the University of Bonn. Please check the website of the Studierendenwerk Bonn.

If you are looking for private accommodation and shared flats you can check this website.

The University of Bonn offers a broad range of campus activities and events. For current information please check the University's web page.

Wird geladen